maandag 9 juli 2012

Selection course on the Island of Coll

In February I heard I was going to Malawi. I applied to Project Trust and followed their selection course on the island of Coll, Inner Hebridees, Scotland.


It took me 2 days to get there. My father and I went to Amsterdam by train and stayed the night. The following day we took an early flight to Glasgow. We had the whole day to ourselves, but the weather made our choices easy. We looked for cover and went to the cinema and saw A Dangerous Method. I can't remember a thing about it, probably because I was too excited about the day ahead of me. In the evening we took the coach to Oban and stayed at an hotel near the pier. By the time we arrived it was so late, so we didn't have any time to explore Oban.
The following day I had to get up very early to catch the first ferry boat to the Isle of Coll. It was a 3 hour trip through choppy seas (and I forgot my sea sick tablets). I left my father behind and he went to another island, the Island of Mull. When we arrived in port I was a sleep so unfortunately I can't tell you my first impression of Coll from the boat. I wanted to text my father to tell him I arrived but I soon noticed I had no service and did not have any for the rest of the week.
The whole group gathered together and the group leaders drove us to the Project Trust centre. 
The weather on the picture is quite representative. 

We had to get started straight away. Project number 1 was building an oil rig with straws. It had to be constructed in such way that it would be able to support a dictionary (middling size). None of our attempts worked.
We were all placed with host families. I was put together with another volunteer in a vegetarian host family. They had 4 very energetic children, ranging from 2,5 to 9. I remember that we arrived there really late (it was a 3 quarter of an hour drive from the centre and we were last to get out of the bus) and we heard the children shouting 'They're here, they're here' and as soon as we put our luggage in the rooms they presented us with a drawing which they had made.
It was an unforgettable week. I've got memories of feeding sheep and cattle, ploughing, dancing at a ceilidh and meeting some lovely people. When it was finally time to go home I had a sort of sinking feeling that I might not have been selected and I had nail-biting week at home, watching the letter box at the front door. Everyone got their news before I did, because the post takes longer to get to Belgium. But the following Monday I was expecting it. Because I was at school I asked my mother to open the letter and then I heart that I would be sent to Malawi. Since then I've found out as much as possible about Malawi. So I knew that I would have to start finding sponsors to support my trip.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten